Introspective writing: Favourite and least favourite math teachers

My Favourite teacher: My high school math teacher in grade 11 remains my greatest role model. What set him apart was his authentic persona; he struck a perfect balance between maintaining firm classroom decorum and building approachable, casual relationships, even joining us for a game of volleyball. His clear instructional style and vivid language left a lasting impression, to the point that I still find myself using his phrasing with my own students today. Most importantly, he ensured every single student felt seen and heard, regardless of their academic standing or learning difficulties. He also fostered genuine independence by trusting us during assessments, leaving the room to instill a sense of personal accountability for our own learning.

My Least Favourite Teacher.
My least favourite educator was my grade 7 math teacher. Looking back, her instruction felt constantly rushed, and there was a noticeable bias toward top-performing students during lessons and assessments. Since I wasn't a high achiever before grade 8, I found it frustrating that she used the strongest students as the benchmark for the entire class, assuming that if they understood a concept, everyone did. She never reached out to offer support when my grades dropped, and her overall demeanour made her feel virtually unapproachable.
Key Takeaways
Comparing these two experiences highlights how crucial a teacher’s approachability and empathy are to student learning. While my grade 7 teacher may have possessed strong subject mastery and effective instructional strategies, her lack of empathy and distant demeanour hindered her effectiveness. In contrast, my grade 11 teacher created a psychologically safe environment where no question was considered less important, ensuring every student felt supported and valued.

These contrasting experiences will directly shape my practice as an educator. As I take up the mantle of teaching, I am committed to creating an inclusive classroom where every student feels seen, heard, and valued regardless of their starting point. Rather than using top performers as a proxy for whole-class understanding, I plan to leverage their strengths to offer extended challenges or peer-tutoring opportunities, freeing me to provide targeted support to those who need it most. Through regular check-ins, I will ensure no student falls through the cracks. Ultimately, I aim to balance classroom authority with empathy, warmth, and trust, building a foundation of psychological safety that fosters open communication and empowers independent, self-accountable learners who know their voices matter.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Fibonacci Curved Kites to Our Own Mathematical Art Piece